NCL Library Page Position
Pay range: $12/hr-$14/hr DOE, eligible for PTO after 6 months
Under supervision, the role of this position is to check in and out library materials, help prepare materials for curbside pick-up, and to keep collection materials shelved and organized by established NCL policies and classifications. This position is public facing and an essential job function of this position is to be able to greet patrons in a welcoming manner (in-person or on the phone) and to answer directional library inquiries.
Library Director and Patron Services Supervisor
Major Duties and Responsibilities
30% – SHELVING, SHELF READING AND SHIFTING – Shelves library materials; placing materials on the appropriate shelf according to Dewey decimal number, author name, or title in order to return materials to library shelves.
20% – CIRCULATION – Basic functionality in library’s ILS, (KOHA), being able to check items in and out; search the catalog for patron requests; placing items on hold for patrons; running holds queue report; entering magazines into KOHA, deleting barcoded items, and routing materials to their proper location and to proper courier bins.
10% CURBSIDE DELIVERY Taking curbside delivery requests either via email or on the phone. Pulling materials that have been requested, following all public health guidelines to clean and prepare materials for non-contact delivery to patrons.
10% – PROCESSING AND CLEANING LIBRARY MATERIALS, LIBRARYHIGH-TOUCH SURFACES and PATRON COMPUTER STATIONS –assist with covering and labeling materials, cleaning all materials and cleaning all computer workstations (within public health guidelines).
10% PROGRAMMING SUPPORT—assist with setting up and cleaning up after in-house library programs and outreach events; assist with creating informative and visually pleasing displays, bookmarks, and flyers.
5% OPENING AND CLOSING LIBRARY—assist with all aspects of opening and/or closing library.
5% – BOOK DROP – Empties the book drop and bins of materials from courier deliveries and places items on carts or shelves in order to prepare the materials for check-in.
5% – PERIODICALS – Places periodicals on display shelf, moves older issue to back issue area, pulls back issues of periodicals off of display racks and places them in the periodical archives area, straightens the shelves, re-shelves periodicals left out by patrons, and maintains periodicals in good condition in order to prepare the periodicals area to be used by patrons.
- 5% – OTHER DUTIES – Develops a working knowledge about the organization and care of library materials and library services and programs.
- At least 15 years old.
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written English at an 8th grade level.
- Demonstrates commitment to principles of intellectual freedom and all aspects of customer diversity.
- Ability to work all year round and to work 3 – 12 hours per week, as needed, and potentially two weekend shifts per month (Saturday or Sunday), as needed.
- Proficient with personal computers and modern office procedures.
- Ability to alphabetize and file and to perform clerical tasks with precision.
- Able to maintain confidential and sensitive patron information.
- Able to carry up to 15 lbs of books across the library.
- Able to be on time to work.
- Able to stand for long stretches of time and be able to bend and stretch.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Previous library experience.
- Bilingual skills (any second language).
- Experience working or volunteering with children.
- Experience or education (high school or college) in the arts.
The following information is designed to outline the functions and position requirements for this job. It does not identify all tasks that may be expected, nor address the performance standards that must be maintained. Furthermore, it does not establish a contract for employment between the Nederland Community Library and the employee, and is subject to change as the needs of the Nederland Community Library and the requirements of the job change.